When I bought my first house I thought that good closet organization was a well thought out system of shelves and hanging space; something that kept everything organized, but not something that had any style beyond the style of the clothes that were hanging there. Princess Mia’s closet in Princess Diaries 2 (2004) showed me just how fabulous closets could be! She had a space for everything and exclaimed “I have my own mall!”
Today, fabulous closets are popping up all over the area as homeowners deck out their existing closets or convert spare bedrooms into dressing rooms. The most popular way to get a large stylish closet in an existing home, is to convert a room that sits empty most of the time. The space has the potential to become so much more than a closet when you start to incorporate some of the latest trends.
Here are the top 10 trends we are seeing in the latest closet designs:
- Larger spaces provide the opportunity for a floating chest of drawers in the middle of the room. These islands can replace or supplement a dresser in the bedroom.
- A seating space in the closet makes putting on shoes and socks easier. Sometimes that is a chair, bench or ottoman. If the space allows it, a window seat with storage is a great idea too.
- Lighting that moves beyond just an overhead light. In larger feminine spaces, chandeliers with lots of bling make a statement. Lights also can be incorporated into the shelving for specific task lighting.
- Larger closets also allow for multi-functional spaces, including the addition of a beverage center. We have seen small refrigerators, coffee pots, and microwaves in the closet space. Why not enjoy your morning beverage right there in the “closet” while getting ready?
- Women aren’t the only ones with large wardrobes anymore, so plan on having separate his and hers spaces in the closet. Each space can have its own character, too, reflecting the individual style of the user.
- A special place for shoes is a requirement in most closets today. It makes it easier to see all of your shoes, and it makes a great visual statement too! Shoe walls with identically spaced shelves don’t take up much depth so they can usually be fit into narrow spaces.
- Closets are getting more colorful, including wallpaper, patterned rugs, and paint. The cabinetry also is getting more colorful, with an increase in the number of two-toned cabinetry. Shelving and cabinet options go beyond just white and cherry, and are much more fun when you combine a couple of finishes.
- Window treatments are another great way to add color if your space has a window. Roman shades, shutters, and draperies are making an appearance in closets.
- To keep clothes dust free in these larger open spaces, think about putting cupboard doors on select portions of the closet. Glass doors allow you to see the clothes while protecting them from dust, and closed doors give the space a neater appearance.
- Murphy beds are making a comeback! With the loss of that spare bedroom, a murphy bed can quickly turn that dressing room into a guest bedroom when needed.
Closets can be just as exciting as the clothes that are in them. After all, what’s the fun of an amazing clothing collection if you don’t have a fabulous space to keep it? If you are thinking about upgrading your closet or converting a bedroom so you can also “have your own mall,” give SWAT Design Team a call for some help. Even if you don’t have a spare room, you can still incorporate some of these latest trends.